The LMA Southwest Region is excited to announce the launch of the LMANext 2023 Program. LMANext is a professional development program aimed at providing on-going professional development to newly minted legal marketers through a year-long training and mentorship program.
The LMANext Program will include regular one-on-one meetings between mentors and protégés, live webinars, and accountability discussions led by GrowthPlay's Holly Barocio. As LMANext 2023 Program participants, Protégés will be matched with executives within the legal marketing industry.
When: The program will span from January 2023 to December 2023.
$125 for LMA members and $175 for non-LMA members
Registration Deadline Extended: December 22, 2022
Training Topics and Program Dates
The LMANext Program will run from January 2023 – December 2023. Trainings will take place alternating months beginning in February. Mentors and Protégés are encouraged to meet in the other months, or as often as you would like.
Workshop 1: The Give and Get of Effective Mentoring Relationships
[Wednesday, February 22, 2023 12:00 – 1:00 PM CT]
A mentor can play a fundamental role in helping a person achieve success in her/his career. Establishing expectations and equipping both mentor and protégé with the tools and techniques that contribute to an effective mentoring relationship can further strengthen the bond between two people. This program will share practical tools and best practices for being an effective mentor or protégé, including establishing ground rules for the relationship and setting expectations; use of effective questions and listening skills; and taking initiative in the mentoring relationship to get the best out of their mentor or protégé.
Workshop 2: Harnessing the Power of Your Personal Brand
[Wednesday, April 19, 2023 12:00 – 1:00 PM CT]
Personal branding describes the process by which individuals identify and articulate their unique value proposition and then leverage it across platforms with a consistent message and image to achieve a specific goal. In this way, individuals can establish reputation and credibility, advance their careers, and build self-confidence. This program provides a framework for marketing and business development professionals to evaluate their current brand and align their brand in a way that demonstrates value to those who matter most.
Workshop 3: Legal Marketplace Trends
[Wednesday, June 21, 2023 12:00 – 1:00 PM CT]
There’s no better way to know what makes a client tick than to go straight to the source and ask. GrowthPlay has interviewed numerous purchasers of legal services and compiled the Legal Marketplace Trends based on their feedback and insights. From providing legal advice in a business context to proactively offering a budget (even when the client doesn’t ask for one) are trends every marketing and business development professional should know in order to effectively counsel and collaborate with their lawyers.
Workshop 4: Putting the Work Into Networking
[Wednesday, August 23, 2023 12:00 – 1:00 PM CT]
Networking in 2023 will take shape as virtual, in-person and hybrid event formats. While new networking skillsets have emerged as essential to career advancement, there are fundamental mindsets and best practices for working a room, be it virtual or IRL. This workshop will prepare you to maximize the opportunities you have in a social setting to meet more colleagues, make a lasting impression, and take action following an event.
Workshop 5: Six Selling Styles for Lawyers
[Wednesday, October 25, 2023 12:00 – 1:00 PM CT]
We can typically identify a “rainmaker” or the lawyer who “gets it” when it comes to business development. We also know that there isn’t just a one-size-fits-all approach to business development and that there are a variety of paths to participation. Now, we have scientific data that can help us align our lawyers to the right fit business development roles based on predictive competencies. This workshop will explore the science behind talent analytics and introduce the Five Business Development Role Profiles.
LMANext Celebratory Social
We will cap off the 2023 Southwest Region LMANext series with a social celebrating the mentors and protégés.
Holly L. Barocio
Holly helps lawyers leverage their natural business development strengths and find authentic approaches to improve their sales performance.
An experienced business development coach and trainer who has worked in the legal industry for 17 years, Holly has partnered with numerous Am Law 100 and 200 firms and regional mid-size firms to help attorneys master business development fundamentals. Prior to joining GrowthPlay, Holly was the head of marketing and client services for a Chicago-based law firm, where she led initiatives around new business development, attorney coaching and client service interviews.
Holly is a past co-chair of the Legal Marketing Association’s (LMA) Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and served on the Legal and Professional Services Council (LPSC) Board for five years. She has previously held leadership positions with Chicago Association of Legal Personnel Administrators and various National Association for Law Placement (NALP) working groups.
She regularly presents on business development, professional branding and relationship building to organizations including LMA, LPSC, the Association of Legal Administrators, the Professional Development Consortium, NALP, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law and the American Association of Law Libraries. Clients that work with Holly note her practical advice and appreciate the insights she shares from conducting client interviews.
Holly graduated from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She is a passionate ice hockey fan and player. Holly lives in Chicago with her partner, Jason, and their three cats.
What is the time commitment expected from protégés and mentors?
Protégés will attend 1x1 calls with your mentors six times per year and trainings six times per year alternating trainings and 1x1 sessions. We anticipate protégés can expect 1-2 hours of active participation per month.
Mentors will attend 1x1 calls with protégés six times per year and have access to the trainings (6 per year) if they desire to attend. However, their participation or attendance is not required. Thus, mentors can expect to be active 1 hour per month on LMANext commitments.
Is there a qualification process for protégés?
- To become a protégé, you must be enrolled in the LMANext 2023 program to participate in the mentorship and training aspect of the program; and
- You must work within the Southwest Region (Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah) area.
- Meet at least every other month with your mentor (6 times total), remembering to accommodate the mentor’s schedule and location over a 12-month period;
- Set up meetings with your mentors and prepare discussion points to streamline all discussions
- Respond to requests for evaluations or surveys related to the LMANext 2023 program; and
- Attend LMASW Region programs with mentors when possible.
- Our ideal protégé would have less than 5 years of marketing/communication experience or be a newer member to the legal marketing industry. However, this is not required.
What are the qualifications of mentors?
- Mentors must work in the Southwest Region (Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah) area. You can be a law firm in-house marketing professional, consultant or vendor.
- Mentors typically will have 5+ years of professional legal marketing experience or 8+ years marketing experience; however, it is not required.
- Mentors are typically manager, director, or CMOs.
- Mentors will be sharing their experiences, giving advice and providing teachable moments.
- Meet with protégés on a regular on-going basis for a 12-month period.
- Meet at least six times during 2023.
- Program obligation ends in December 2023 though the Mentor/Protégé can continue their relationship beyond that point if they wish.
- Must provide biography and background information for mentoring materials and mentor selection.
- Must provide mentoring committee with updates or information as requested e.g. evaluations, interim reports, surveys, etc.
- Attend LMASW Local Group programs with protégés when possible.
- Mentors will be given access to audit any programs to ensure consistent communication of best practices, etc. discussed in the programming.
How will you pair mentors and protégés?
We will pair mentors and protégés based on their niche area of legal marketing (business development, PR, pricing, department management, etc.) to try to find the most compatible skillsets possible. We also will take into account the protégé and mentor’s request for a partner in a similar location to them.
How will programming be delivered?
All programming will be delivered either via webinar or live in person depending on the location of the participants. Mentor matching will occur during December 2022, so that program can begin in January 2023.
For questions about the LMANext Program, please contact Jessica.email@example.com
For questions or concerns about your registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org